Monday, February 12, 2018

Shhhh!

I have heard a number of students say that have posted information about their dissertation on their personal website or on social media. I caution you to reconsider doing this before the study is complete. The reason is that there are people who may "borrow" your ideas and publish a study on the same topic before you can get your study done. This could mean having to rework your study (remember you are required to make a new contribution to the field). While I do not recommend being paranoid about this (e.g., fearing that your committee will steal your ideas), do be cautious in sharing. General topics are fine, but don’t be specific about it.

Next time, we will consider getting done. Do you have an issue or a question that you would like me to discuss in a future post? Would you like to be a guest writer? Send me your ideas! leann.stadtlander@waldenu.edu


No comments:

Post a Comment