Friday, February 20, 2015

Building Resilience: Re-Framing Problems


Re-Framing is a cognitive technique that you can learn so you can begin to see the possibilities in situations that previously had been seen only as problems.  Below are examples of problems, and how they can be we reframed into more creative options and opportunities.  It is important to note that you need to work out a new perspective that is realistic, believable, and helpful for you.  Others can suggest positive perspectives, but these will not make any difference unless they are relevant and meaningful to you. 

Problem
How could it be reframed?
My chair wants to resign from my committee
What opportunities might be there?  Could I find someone more interested in my topic?  How can I make the experience better in the future?
I am getting a U this quarter
What challenges does this present that I could rise to?  How can I learn from this?  What should I do differently?  How can I show my true strengths?
I hate to write
How can I get pleasure or satisfaction out of it?  Could I streamline or systematize the process?  Could I learn to like it?  Can I set myself challenges to meet?
A mistake you made
What can I learn from this?  What led up to it?  How can I avoid repeating it?


It can be hard work to find the alternative thoughts that work for you, but it is well worth the effort as the results can be life changing. 

Today's mini-Montana photo break is of a recent snow in Bozeman (yes, the color is what it looked like– there is not a blue filter). Next time, we'll consider building resilience further by avoiding common thinking errors. Do you have an issue or a question that you would like me to discuss in a future post? Send me an email with your ideas. leann.stadtlander@waldenu.edu

 

No comments:

Post a Comment