Wednesday, September 3, 2014

A guest writer: beginnings


Hello everyone. My name is Meredith Baker-Rush, a mother of two young children, a speech pathologist, and a doctoral candidate with a focus in health psychology. I just recently completed my first 9000 course and based on my work with Dr. Stadtlander, I was asked if I would share some insights to the dissertation process. I must disclose that I am new to the process and by no means am I an expert on a dissertation or your particular steps that would expedite the process. However, I have had the honor of discovering little tips along the way that may serve helpful to those who are just beginning the process, those in mid-stream, and even possibly those at the end of the dissertation process. Hence, I was asked to share them with you and I am more than happy to do so.  

“What would you tell someone about to start the process of writing their prospectus?”  

1. Pace yourself.
2. Life happens while you are trying to write and that is OK
3. Respect that those “life events” are part of the process. Accept them rather than curse them.
4. Sleep
5. Read your writing aloud to someone who knows nothing about your topic. I have found many errors and areas that needed further explanation that way!
6. Set up an organization system early and stick with it. Don’t change midstream!
7. Don’t disregard those other important things in your life (e.g. family time, exercise, sleep). They have equal importance in this process.  

"How do you establish your quarterly goals or expectations?”  

For my first quarter, I started by using the research centers Ph.D. Dissertation Process and Documents. You can go to http://researchcenter.waldenu.edu/PhD-Dissertation-Program.htm for this information. The “Prospectus Development” section and “Dissertation Checklists” were priceless. They allowed me to hold true to the structure and content required. I downloaded those aspects that were appropriate to my study and I printed a copy that I hung on my computer hutch keeping the information in plain sight. I wrote out an outline of my study details and compared it to the outline. Then I rationed the work over a period of 12 weeks understanding that some weeks would be more productive than others. I wrote my schedule of planned dissertation activities and then held myself accountable on a weekly basis. I choose weekly in efforts to avoid guilt if I did not work on writing one day.  

I must be honest that the process of deciding a quarterly plan was a job in of itself. However, having a solid direction of what to do made the process smoother and almost a step by step process. It was if I wrote my own PSYC 9000 syllabus and assignment timeline. I was in communication with my chair and made a contentious effort to follow up and follow through with any plans my chair and I agreed to.  

“How do you handle the feeling of isolation while writing a dissertation?” 

I would encourage a support group that has other people who are also writing their dissertations. While family may be supportive and encouraging, they do not understand the process or the work involved. In my humble opinion, writing a dissertation is the hardest form of personal sacrifice and dedication I have ever had to endure. If it was not for the support system I have in place, I have no idea how I could manage the feelings when I “get lost” in the literature, struggle with APA formatting, or even just sharing the stress of life while juggling the demands of higher education.  

In summary, we have heard through our coursework that we must find our own scholarly voice. In the same token, we must also find our own scholarly way of writing and formatting our life to meet the challenges of a dissertation without sacrificing our other important life elements (family, work, rest, health etc.). I hope my “dissertation tips” will serve helpful for you, but please remember, find your own way while tapping into those resources available to you. We all direct our own journeys. I wish you happiness and success in your journey and hope to one day meet you and say “hello my friend, Dr. ______.”  

Respectfully,
Meredith Baker-Rush
 

Next time I will give you a dissertation calculator. Do you have an issue or a question that you would like me to discuss in a future post? Would you like to be a guest writer? Send me your ideas! leann.stadtlander@waldenu.edu 

No comments:

Post a Comment