Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A guest faculty writer

A guest post from Dr. Amy Sickel: 

                      Moderation & Mediation:  the Relationship with your Dissertation Chair 

You have likely heard the term ‘love-hate’ relationship, right?  When I was a doctoral student and then candidate, I can recall having what I would describe as a ‘like-fear’ relationship with my chair.  He was extremely helpful, very smart, and a generous mentor.  I completed my doctorate at a brick and mortar institution so was part of my mentor’s research lab and met regularly with my chair and his other students, all of us working on various aspects of his research program.  I learned a great deal from this experience and my chair remains a role model for me today.   

However, about that fear part I mentioned… We would all meet with our chair individually as well, and I would go to his office with my various drafts, chapters, literature reviews, analyses, and relative brainstorms.  By the time I began on my dissertation, I can honestly say I put all of my energy into it; it was a completely consuming process.  As a result, I had a tremendous amount invested in the dissertation process and he became the gatekeeper, the repository for my efforts and provider of feedback about how successful those efforts were.  A quantitative methodologist would readily agree that my chair mediated my dissertation process.  My successful graduation could only occur but through my chair’s approval.  As a result, submitting my documents to the chair brought with it a reasonable amount of fear.  Fear that the work was not good enough, my ideas too naïve, or that my writing was unclear.  One time, I proudly plunked down a draft for his review, which was a sizeable stack of paper (reminder:  this was before submitting documents electronically).  My chair’s reply?  He promptly told me to cut it in half!   

I am lucky in that my chair understood the importance and the centrality of his role in my dissertation process.  While he pushed us all to do our best, he was gracious and actively worked to reinforce our individual strengths.  While the iterative nature of the dissertation process provided me with plenty of practice at taking constructive criticism, he delivered his feedback in a way that did not belittle my efforts or me.  Over time then, my fears became less and I did not dread trudging to his office to deliver drafts, brainstorm ideas, or ask for his help.  Personally, I feel that two factors served as moderators in the relationship between my academic efforts and my receiving my degree.  First, my chair’s perspective on mentoring was vital for my survival.  I may not have fared so well had my chair been less available and less student centered.  

Second, I believe those iterations, the back and forth act of submitting chapters and receiving feedback, moderated the relationship between my academic efforts and my receiving my degree.  Each iteration, while fear inducing, provided me with practice, information, and reinforcement.  When I had just a few iterations under my belt, my chances of getting that degree seemed scant.  When I had more and more behind me, the degree became within reach.  Some might say that time is the real moderator here however; I had seen some students spend many years at school and who seemed adrift, who did not end up obtaining the degree.

Eventually, I am pleased to say, that my relationship with my mentor evolved solely into ‘like’ and moved away from ‘fear’ – but this took some time.  I also realized that I was not so much afraid of my chair as much as I was afraid I could not accomplish the herculean task in front of me.  The nature of the dissertation process and my mentor’s steady guidance taught me I could succeed and it was liberating to learn this over time.  I am grateful to my chair for all of this. 

Now a mentor myself, I never forget how it felt to earn this degree and how it felt to have a chair that was clearly on my side.  I strive to be the best mediator in my students’ processes as possible both in terms of my direct actions but also through my mentoring philosophy.  I also encourage students to submit as many iterations as possible so that someday they too will they will experience the satisfaction of knowing the degree is in reach. 
 
No doubt, you have heard the metaphor that a dissertation is like a long distance race… and it truly is.  It can be exhausting, overwhelming, isolating, fear inducing, and have you questioning why you entered in the first place.  It can test and try all of the skills you thought you had when you gleefully accepted a slot in your school’s program.  So when finally it comes time to pick your chair, think about how well your personality, your skills, and your needs fit with those of a prospective chair.  You are going to put a lot of academic effort into earning this degree.  Your chair will serve as conduit between your effort and obtaining the degree, so this decision is important.  Even if you have no research plans post-degree, you want to find a chair that will help you evolve into the best academic you can while you produce your dissertation.  Speaking quantitatively again, some models fit better than others! 

Next time I will discuss updating your articles. Do you have an issue or a question that you would like me to discuss in a future post? Would you like to be a guest writer? Send me your ideas! leann.stadtlander@waldenu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment