Monday, January 22, 2018

A trick for inspiration

Gilbert (2015) discusses a trick for inspiration – stop complaining. Every time you express a complaint about how hard it is to be creative or write your dissertation, inspiration takes a step away from you, offended. "It is almost like inspiration puts up its hands and says, 'Hey sorry, buddy! I didn't realize my presence was such a drag. I'll take my business elsewhere'" (p. 118).

Instead of complaining how difficult it is to write a dissertation; face the real reasons you decided to get a doctorate. Put aside the rationales that you may give to others and face the fact that you probably chose to go into this field because you love it (and if you don't, you should not be doing it!). So try saying, "I love my creativity and my dissertation."

By saying that you love your work, you will draw inspiration to you. "Inspiration will overhear your pleasure, and it will send ideas to your door as a reward for your enthusiasm and your loyalty" (p. 119).

Next time, I will discuss pain and the dissertation. Do you have an issue or a question that you would like me to discuss in a future post? Would you like to be a guest writer? Send me your ideas! leann.stadtlander@waldenu.edu

Gilbert, E. (2015). Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment