Monday, January 26, 2015

Repost: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back


Sometimes research feels like you aren’t really making progress… you read over the paragraph from yesterday and wonder “what was I thinking?” You discover an article with a study almost exactly like yours. Your chair (committee member, URR) wants yet another revision. How to keep going? 

First, realize that while these are maddening, they are also a normal part of the process. It happens to everyone. The difference between the person with an ABD (all but dissertation) and a PhD is the second one keeps going. Yes, you will have days that feel like you are going backward, but you will also have days when you plunge ahead and make progress. Keep going. 

Second, know that you are not alone, you have help available- just reach out. Your committee, the writing center and your peers are all available. Let’s consider for a moment how best to approach them. Despite the strong temptation, don’t whine, complain, and blame the world. Say what is going on and what you are looking for from the person. Here’s an example to a peer: 

Hi Mindy,
Like you, I am working on my dissertation. I find I am really having problems keeping motivated, would you be interested in being a dissertation buddy with me? I am thinking that perhaps we could commit to contacting each other once a week or so and offering encouragement. It might help me if I felt accountable to you to get something specific done each week. What do you think? 

Recognize that they may say no, and that is ok. But if they do say no, have someone else in mind to ask. Keep going until you find the person that you need. You are the only one who can find you the support that you need. It is an important element that may make the difference between your being ABD or having that PhD after your name. 

Third, I find it really helpful to set a goal for the week and each day with my writing. What is realistic? Maybe 5 pages a week? Only you know what would be reasonable for you. But make yourself a commitment and stick to it. You will be shocked at the progress you will make. Be sure to allow time for editing, it a very important element of writing and will save you time in the long run. 

Next time I will discuss ordinary days. Do you have an issue or a question that you would like me to discuss in a future post? Would you like to be a guest writer? Send me your ideas! leann.stadtlander@waldenu.edu 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment