Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Theoretical Foundation vs. Conceptual Framework


From Dawn: I have a question regarding the difference between theoretical orientation and conceptual framework. I know for qualitative research, generally speaking the framework is used. However, my chair thinks it is a good idea to use both. I am all for it, but try as I might, I am having difficulty wrapping my head around the two enough to articulate them.  Can you make clear the distinction between the two if you have not already done so in a previous blog? Please and thank you :-) 

Great question, Dawn! I had to do some research on this. A theory is usually found in the scholarly literature and has been formalized and tested by other researchers, it should explain relationships between variables. Theories are often multilayered and complex. A conceptual framework is a less developed form of a theory and consists of statements that link abstract concepts , in psychology it is often described by the term "model." Here is a great example I ran across in Wu, Viswanathan, and Ivy (2012). 



This is a way to lay out your variables and how you think they interact, as opposed to a theory, which is more refined and has aspects that have often been previously tested. 

If you would like more info on conceptual frameworks, take a look at Ravitch and Riggen's (2012) book Reason & Rigor: How Conceptual Frameworks Guide Research. 

Next time we will look at definitions in your paper. Do you have an issue or a question that you would like me to discuss in a future post? Would you like to be a guest writer? Send me your ideas! Send me an email with your ideas. leann.stadtlander@waldenu.edu 
Wu, J. M., Viswanathan, M., & Ivy, J. S. (2012). A conceptual framework for future research on mode of delivery. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 16(7), 1447-1454. doi:10.1007/s10995-011-0910-x

1 comment:

  1. Today's blog was great and very helpful. I think this is exactly what I was/am struggling with and just did not know how to articulate it. I think that is why I had started dealing with other portions of the dissertation - purpose statement and the like, because I just could not wrap my head around exactly what it was that I was not quite getting or understanding. Parts of the chart were a little fuzzy so I will go on line and see if I can find it for myself. Thanks Dr. S.!
    Delore

    ReplyDelete