Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Resilience


Have you heard of the concept of resilience? It is defined as reflecting the characteristics of inner strength, competence, optimism, flexibility, and the ability to cope effectively when faced with adversity (Wagnild & Young, 1990).

How does resilience apply to a dissertation? This is a long-term project often taking more than a year to complete, it will push you to your limits… in a sporting metaphor this is an ultra-marathon not a sprint. You will need to be tough – enduring criticism, learning new concepts, and coping with adversity when it arises. You will need to be optimistic and stay focused on the positives not the negatives. You will need to believe in yourself.

Take a few moments now and think about why you are getting your doctorate. To get a better job? Fulfill a lifetime goal? How important is it to you to do this? You are tapping into the basis of your resilience. That feeling of commitment will help carry you through the rough times. How to remember it? I suggest getting a photo or small token that reflects your goal. I remember for me it was a little red sports car that symbolized making my own money and choosing my own car. No, I didn’t get a sports car when I was done, but I did get a red Saturn sports coupe that I dearly loved.

What symbolizes your goal and commitment for you? Find something and put it where you will see it every day. Remember resilience: inner strength, competence, optimism, flexibility, and the ability to cope effectively when faced with adversity. I know I believe in you. You can do this!

Next time we take a look at what a it means to do a complete literature review. Do you have an issue or a question that you would like me to discuss in a future post? Would you like to be a guest writer? Send me your ideas! leann.stadtlander@waldenu.edu

Wagnild, G.M & Young, H. (1990). Resilience among older women. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 22, 252–255.

No comments:

Post a Comment