Monday, February 11, 2019

Next steps


Something I would like you to think about is that once you have your doctorate (like recent Dr. GiGi Van Ostrand, in the photo on right) you will be in a position to make a difference in your community and profession through service. Like what? You could be on the Board of Directors for a nonprofit you like. These are typically unpaid positions, where you get to influence the direction the group will go in the future. You may also be asked to do fundraising, so check on that before you agree; know what is involved. Also, ask about "fiduciary responsibility" (being responsible for money problems) and if the board has some type of liability insurance for its members (they should!).

Another type of service is using your skills that you have learned in your doctoral program as a volunteer in a nonprofit. Here is an example that I am currently doing. My local no-kill animal shelter collects a great deal of information about each animal and its new adopted owner, but they have not done anything with the data. I am entering all of the data into SPSS and analyzing a year of it for them. They can then use the analyses to better understand their programs and make future changes. I am hoping to publish this data, so I discussed it with the nonprofit's administrators in advance and got IRB approval from Walden. This way I have cleared any obstacles for future publication opportunities.

As a researcher and doctoral scholar, you will have opportunities to make a difference in your community. I hope that you will step up and create change on this local level! You may also want to consider being an officer/ member of the board of directors for state and national professional organizations. Use your expertise for things beyond your own advancement, help your profession and community.

Next time, I will review the dissertation process. Do you have an issue or a question that you would like me to discuss in a future post? Send me an email with your ideas. leann.stadtlander@waldenu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment