Wednesday, August 8, 2018

The Power of Questions


Michael Marquardt (2005) identified four reasons we do not ask questions when we should. Over the next few posts, I will examine each of these and how they relate to your dissertation. First, questions are not asked, because we try to protect ourselves from appearing ignorant on the topic. How often have you been reluctant to ask a question about your dissertation because you were afraid it would be seen as a "dumb" question? I see this in several dissertation related instances. One instance is related to the dissertation process, in which students are reluctant to ask about expectations on the various steps (which is one reason I wrote my book!). It is perfectly appropriate to ask faculty about how they will evaluate you, and how the process will happen. I am a firm believer in transparency at each step of the process. Some example questions, how will you be evaluated at the end of the term? How do faculty decide if your dissertation is ready to move on to the next step in the process? What happens during a dissertation defense, and how do they decide if you pass? What happens if you do not pass?

A second time students are reluctant to ask questions is when they are writing about their data analysis. I have seen students spend days trying to figure it out, when if they asked their faculty mentors it could have been resolved in a few minutes! Yes, I encourage you to take some time to figure it out on your own, but if things are not coming together, ask for help!

Next time, I will consider not asking questions because of being in a hurry. Do you have an issue or a question that you would like me to discuss in a future post? Would you like to be a guest writer? Send me your ideas! leann.stadtlander@waldenu.edu

Marquardt, M. (2005). Leading with Questions: How Leaders Find the Right Solutions by Knowing What to Ask. Jossey-Bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment