Friday, December 23, 2016

Looking back from the finish line

Today, we have a guest post from new Walden graduate, Dr. Meredith Baker-Rush.

After five and a half years, I finally completed all my studies and the dissertation.  During my time at Walden, I followed the faculty suggestions, read all the references they highlighted, made reference books, and maintained constant communication with my faculty.  Every week, I had a schedule related to class work or dissertation activities and I balanced family and friends around the schoolwork demands.  My world centered on school and the big “D” (a.k.a. the dissertation). Now, I am done and my world has completely shifted!

So what does it look like after the dissertation is done?  Well, I must admit for the first few weeks, I was lost.  I went to my computer and did “little” things on my scheduled writing days, as that was all I knew.  I felt disconnected and at times almost uncomfortable with the “free time.”  After all, it was 5 ½ years since I even knew what “free time” was.  I did things I was supposed to do like complete the Proquest publication application, all pre-graduation requirements, and began the process for my loan repayment to help fill my “school scheduled time.”  I still search for new literature and read various articles but now it is for leisure and keeping up on the current literature.  I even began reading books for fun and even watch TV!  It has been a weird and surreal transition.

I think as I look back from the “finish line” the most obvious thing I see is how important and instrumental the chair, committee, and peers at Walden are to your success.  While you are the one writing and working out all the kinks, your chair, committee, URR, CAO, F&S, and so on are all taking a role in ensuring your success.  Everyone provides you input and helps shape you so that you will reach the level of quality you dream about.  They will bring words of wisdom, however in the moment, you may not be aware of the significance of their words or sometimes silence.  As I look back, I thought I appreciated it, but I was not truly aware of how impactful their words were.  I can still hear certain sayings or recall emails telling me to redo something (e.g., “run the stats again”).  In the moment I cried.  Now, I sit back and appreciate the tough love and direction in all aspects of the dissertation.  Earning a PhD is an honor, but is also a humbling achievement.  I could have never done it without my chair, committee member, peers, and all the people behind the scenes at Walden.
I was asked to write something about “looking back from the finish line” and I hope I addressed some of your questions.  I smile as I look forward knowing that I will continue to be successful because of the support I had along the way.  I am honored and humbled by all who taught me how to be a scholar. I am eternally thankful for all of their efforts.  So here’s to all of our success and the beginning of our journeys as scholars.   

Respectfully submitted,

Meredith Baker-Rush, PhD CCC-SLP/L
Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology, specialization in Health Psychology
Walden Class of 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment