Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Researcher Mentor Interview: Dr. Martha Giles

Over the next few posts, I am going have a special series with some interviews from Walden dissertation faculty in psychology. Here is a great chance to hear about how different faculty perceive the dissertation process. Today, we begin with Dr. Martha Giles.

1. Please briefly describe your current mentees' research.
Their research is on a myriad of topics and all three research methodologies.  My mentees are looking at breast cancer, parolee experience of reentry, why youth stay in childhood churches, treatment evaluation, and quality of life in the oldest old, to name a few.

2. How did you come to be a mentor?
Part of it due to my job description, but I take on new students because I love the topics they are studying.  It allows me to be involved in current research and learn about the latest research through their work.

3. What do like best about mentoring research?
The thing that really excites me is seeing an idea become a research question and then finally a completed study.  It is like reading a mystery story and actually being a part of the happy ending.

4. What do you dislike the most about mentoring research?
When students do not do their part… by that I mean students who do not look at previous dissertation, look at IRB documents, look at the templates, etc.  They are wasting their time and money, which makes me very sad.

5. Advice for students to complete their dissertation? 
Do everything in your power to inform yourself about the process, what to do, when to do it, and talk with your mentor.  Most important: work a bit each week!!! Never let a week go by without doing something on the dissertation.

No comments:

Post a Comment