Friday, February 5, 2016

The Proposal- from a Faculty View



As a faculty member when I receive a complete proposal, I am looking at a number of things. First, I look at the writing- is it clear and does it make sense? Is the grammar correct? Are there misspellings? It is always surprising how many students cannot pass this initial test. 

Second, I look at the APA formatting. Are citations used correctly? Are there citations for every fact? Are there no contractions nor are there colloquial comments (e.g., "kids")? Are references written correctly and are they from primary sources? 

Third, I look at the content. Does the student's logic make sense? Have they discussed all of their variables and made a strong case as to why their study is needed? By the end of c. 1, I should feel convinced that the student's study is needed and is an appropriate answer to that need. By the end of c 2, I should feel convinced that the student has a good understanding of the literature and the variables in his or her study. 

In c. 3, I am looking for a complete description of the study in enough detail that I could go out and do the study based on the description. I want to know who will be the participants, how they will be recruited, what will happen to them during the study, and what they will be told. I expect to see any surveys or interview questions that will be in the study given in the appendixes (and referred to in c. 3). Similarly, the consent form(s), demographic surveys, and permission agreements should all be in the appendixes. I will take a close look at the methodology and see if it is described correctly, given the population. I will also consider whether any ethical issues will arise when the student goes through the IRB. 

I should be able to print out the references and read through the paper crossing off each the reference when it is cited in the paper- and have no citations without references and vice versa. Citations with 3+ authors should be using et al. after the first citation. All references should be in correct APA format. 

Finally, I will take one more look at the study as a whole- is it consistent through the three chapters? Are all variables described and addressed in the study? Are the research questions consistent with the methodology? Does the theory make sense given the study as a whole? 

Next time, we will take a look at the final dissertation from the faculty view. Do you have an issue or a question that you would like me to discuss in a future post? Send me an email with your ideas. leann.stadtlander@waldenu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment