Monday, December 1, 2014

Welcome to Winter


 

Today begins winter quarter; this tends to be a cold but busy quarter! Before you know it, the holidays will be here so make sure you do some advance dissertation planning. (Mandy is demonstrating doing some winter planning in the photo- she is thinking hard!) It is fine not to work on your paper for a few days, especially with children, family, and friends all demanding your attention. However, you also do not want to forget about it! 

How to balance life and your dissertation? It is not easy and choices will have to be made. It will be easier for you if you plan ahead, and think through your options. Perhaps it would make sense to get up an hour early to get things done while it is quiet in the house. Maybe taking yourself off to the library or a quiet coffee shop would make sense. I know I hate to be working when I can hear everyone else talking and having fun, so leaving the house would make it easier for me. 

Another option is work extra hours on it early in the quarter, knowing you will slack off for a couple of weeks, and then hit it hard in January.   

Next time I will talk about making small efforts.  Do you have an issue or a question that you would like me to discuss in a future post? Would you like to be a guest writer? Send me your ideas! leann.stadtlander@waldenu.edu 

No comments:

Post a Comment