Sunday, July 13, 2014

Making Data Make Sense- data cleaning


What do I mean by data cleaning? There are many definitions, but I am talking about a two-step process. First, double-checking that all cells are filled, you will probably discover some are not and decisions will need to be on this.  The second step is carefully checking the statistical assumptions of your variables and looking for extreme scores.  

Why are these steps necessary? Because the results of your study will only be as accurate as the data you analyze. Therefore, it is very important to take the time to check your data carefully, so that you know that your results are valid and accurate.  

I want to refer you to a great book that much of my advice over the next few posts will be based:  

Osborn, J. W. (2013). Best practices in data cleaning. DC: Sage. 

Next time we will look at the issue of missing data.  Do you have an issue or a question that you would like me to discuss in a future post? Would you like to be a guest writer? Send me your ideas! leann.stadtlander@waldenu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment