Monday, June 23, 2014

Lessons learned from my dissertation journey


Today I am thrilled to bring you a guest writer - an alumna of Walden's health psych doctoral program, Dr. Veronica Semenova!

It is with great pleasure that I accept this opportunity to share my dissertation experiences with you, my dear fellow Ph.D. students. I enrolled in my Ph.D. Program in Health Psychology at Walden in September 2009 and graduated in February 2013. 

Someone may say the time was short, but life during the dissertation was flowing very differently for me. Being in the Ph.D. program was a life lesson by itself. It has helped me prioritize everything in my life – my goals, my relationships, my commitments. It was a true transformation. Suddenly, it became obvious to me that my time is precious and should not be wasted on activities, people, obligations that are not benefitting me as an individual. I've let go of a lot of “baggage” to give myself more time to study, do my research, and write. I've learned to care about “Me” and “My time”.  

In the course of my work on the dissertation, I had moments of inspiration and moments of frustration. I guess it is normal for each of us. There were doubts as to whether I was capable enough to do it, there were health problems – I went through a hospitalization with pneumonia and a long recovery after that. There were family problems, kids' illnesses, vacations, house moving and so on. I once found myself writing on a transatlantic flight and once while checking up on my Christmas turkey in the oven (luckily the bird didn't burn that time!).  

It is not easy to make yourself write every day. And as I found it wasn't possible for me. I was going through phases of intense writing and intense preparation, where I was collecting ideas, thinking, and reading articles.. I did have 2-3 hours set for working on my dissertation every day – not all of that time I was inspired enough to write, but I was there in front of my computer, reading, editing, working on formatting. Somewhere in the middle of the process, I got overwhelmed with all the articles I had read and figured I needed to come up with some system to index each article, reference, major findings, gaps, and limitations. I encourage you to think about that early on. It will be very difficult to remember what each article was about several months later. 

Perseverance is perhaps the only thing I can wish you along the way. In times of frustration or lack of motivation, always remember this journey is not a sprint, it's a marathon. Do not doubt your abilities; you are already in the program and you can do it. Do give yourself credit for every small achievement – even as small as a couple of paragraphs written today, an article read and indexed, or your reference list edited according to APA requirements. Every little bit counts. One of the highest achievements in an academic life is writing and defending a dissertation. Praise yourself for being in that prime moment, as difficult as it may seem, this is the best time of your life, one that will make you proud and will give you a lot of credit going forward.  

Finally, never forget to take care of yourself - rest, get enough sleep to recharge your batteries, ensure you are receiving all the nutrients you need, follow up with your medical practitioner on any acute or chronic illnesses. Devote time to yourself, help yourself deal with stress and anxiety by exercising or just going for walks, and learning how to use mindfulness-based practices. Finishing this dissertation requires you to be in top shape.  

Good luck to all of you, please feel free to contact me for any additional support you may require. I'd be happy to share as much as I can. My email is semenova.veronica@gmail.com 

Veronica Semenova, Ph.D.
Walden Alumni, Ph.D. Health Psychology Program 

Next time we will talk about the waiting game.  Do you have an issue or a question that you would like me to discuss in a future post? Would you like to be a guest writer? Send me your ideas! leann.stadtlander@waldenu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment