Friday, May 2, 2014

Prospectus: How do I start?


How do you start writing the prospectus? I suggest starting with entering all of the required pieces (like an outline). Here is a cheat sheet for you J 

Title Page 

Problem Statement 

Significance 

Background 

Framework 

Research Question(s) 

Nature of the Study 

Possible Types and Sources of Information or Data 

References 

The next step would be to write out your research questions- these are your guides for the rest of the paper. Then write out your problem statement. It often helps to get started with "the problem is…." Make it clear to your reader why your study is needed. 

I suggest then skipping to the Background section. This is your literature review which will help you understand and explain what has previously been done in this area and why your study is the logical next step. Then begin filling in the other areas. Be sure you use the Prospectus Guidebook, as well as, my recent blog entries for help. 

Next time I finish up with the prospectus by talking about what I look for as a faculty member when reviewing a prospectus.  Do you have an issue or a question that you would like me to discuss in a future post? Would you like to be a guest writer? Send me your ideas! leann.stadtlander@waldenu.edu 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment